October 31, 2011

The Importance of Sleep

One does not truly understand the importance of sleep until one is not getting any.

I don't know what happened but my sleep-loving little baby has done a complete 180 on me. He went from me laying him down with a paci and putting himself to sleep to screaming like crazy at any sleep time, naps or bedtime. He was sleeping all night and now he is up all the time.

I went 6 nights with hardly any sleep. Although, I can't blame him alone. He was the first 3 nights (honestly, he would only sleep 30-45 minutes and then was up again), then the 4th (when he actually slept from 11-4 (5 whole hours!!!)) Kayla was up from 12 - 3:30 throwing up. Awesome. Then the 5th was Trevor again and then on the 6th night Evan was up with a coughing spasm.

Seriously I feel like I haven't slept in a year. I am wiped out! And I can't sleep during the day because I have this business that needs my attention. Luckily, last night (night 7) everyone actually slept. And that means that Trevor slept 5 hours straight and then was up every 2 again.

I think that it is funny that Kurt says "hey, you got 5 hours of sleep last night. You must feel great". Uh, no. 5 hours doesn't make up for the loss of 30. Nice try though.

So that has been our life lately. One sleepy mom. I have learned that I am not a very patient mom when I am completely sleep deprived. Nor am I very organized. Or very on top of anything. Everything is a mess but o-well.

Running was going really good until last week. If I don't have the energy to shower or clean or cook, I really don't have the energy to run. So I thought this week I would get back into it. But I just realized that it is Thursday and I have gone once. Yikes - where did this week go?

Besides the lack of sleep, there is the small detail that bears were spotted in our neighborhood. Yep, thats right - bears. Right smack-dab in the middle of the burbs. Seriously. It kind of took the wind out of my sails for going early in the morning. Cody may protect me but I think bears may be past his limit. It was a momma bear with 3 cubs. Don't want to mess with them! So now I am trying to figure out another time to go.

Oh life. Aren't you full of surprises!

No comments: