July 3, 2011

Trail Run

So tonight we took a trial run to Labor and Delivery.

No, I didn't think I was in labor. Trevor just didn't seem to be moving like normal the last couple of days and I wanted to have him checked out.

Remember on Friday how I ate pizza and walked and nothing was happening. Well, I woke up at 11:30 Friday night with the worst heartburn ever! Horrible, I tell you and I had taken heartburn medicine at 9 pm hoping to prevent it. I got up to watch TV to try to take my mind off of it.

Oh, just for the record, I didn't eat the pizza hoping to trigger labor. We were at April and Rick's and it was just what we did for dinner. I had heard that spicy pizza (and yes, I consider pepperoni pizza spicy) could help trigger labor so I thought maybe that plus the walk would do something. And it did all right - gave me the worst heartburn EVER and made my body cranky!

So I watch TV til about 1 am. During the TV watching I noticed that I was having Braxton Hicks and that they seemed to be getting pretty consistent. I didn't think too much of it because I just don't go into labor on my own so I figured they would stop. By 1 am I was tired so I went to bed. I woke up at 3 am with a really strong contractions. They actually got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, something was happening.

But by 4 am, they stopped. Stinkin' things. Got me all excited and then nothing.

So, since then Trevor just didn't seem to be moving like normal. I kept thinking I should go in to L&D but I felt like I was over-reacting or something. He was moving - just didn't seem "normal." But today, I could stand it no more so we went in.

And of course, as the nurse was putting the monitors on my tummy, he nailed her 3 times with some good kicks. Great - make me look like I am crazy!

But after he settled down from the monitors being put on, he was calm, too calm. His heart rate was in the normal range but it didn't have any of the fluctuation that they want to see. He wasn't moving around.

So she had me drink cold water. Nothing.

She had me turn on my side. Nothing.

Ok, now I am not looking so crazy.

She brought me some juice. She said she also called the dr. and the dr. ordered an ultrasound to make sure Trevor was ok and that he had enough fluid around him.

But by the time the guy showed up to take me to the ultrasound, Trevor was bouncing off the walls. Apparently, he just needed a little sugar (which I had tried before we went in). He was all over the place.

We decided to go ahead with the ultrasound just to make sure everything was ok. We were already there, so why not? Everything was great. He scored an 8 out of 8 on the test they did. Way to go Trevor! It was really cool because one of the things they look for is the baby to be "breathing." And he was breathing a ton - it was really neat to see. You could see his lungs expanding and contracting.

So, apparently the problem was that I wasn't drinking enough fluids. Big surprise there - we already know I have a fluid intake issue. I guess these upper 90 - 100 degree days are catching up with me.

After filling me up on water and juice, Trevor has been moving around all evening. He is one happy camper.

1 comment:

The UnMaintained Family said...

Almost there, Jenn! Hang in there.
Pretty soon you'll be exhausted running after your new little boy and you'll WISH you only had heartburn!! (Evil, aren't I!??)
Hugs and kisses!