February 2, 2009

Good news and bad news

Last Friday I went with my mom to a doctors appoitment to get the results of her current PET scan.

My mom had breast cancer 9 years ago and was able to beat it. Her lymph nodes were clear so we had high expectations that this was the end.

But it wasn't.

In November 07, blood test showed something was going on and my mom has now been battling the breast cancer again but this time it is in her liver. Apparently at least one cell was able to get through the lymph nodes undetected.

So her current PET scan came back saying that it has not spread to anywhere else in her body. GREAT news! Her bones and lungs are all clear. Also her liver function is normal and is not enlarged. YES!

The bad news was that the current chemo she is on is not working good enough. The cancer is not one mass on her liver but is "numerous" spots all over her liver. Some of the spots have grown, some are brighter on the test and there are new ones. Scarey! So they are switching her chemo again (this will be her 3rd one); this one will be more aggressive.

She is incredibly strong (even though she doesn't feel that she is) and we are so proud of her. She is such an example to me and I love her so much. I know she can get through this. I ask that you keep her in your thoughts and prayers as the power of prayer is amazing!

2 comments:

Judie and George said...

We'll hope for the best for your Mom.

Shannon said...

She is in my thoughts and prayers.