June 20, 2013

The Homeless People That Are Traumatizing Our Neighborhood

We have a homeless couple that has been seen walking around our neighborhood almost every night for the last couple of weeks. They are really starting to freak people out because we don't get homeless people in our neighborhood and the neighbors just don't know what to do.

There is a male that carries a big backpack which includes a tent and a female who usually is holding onto the dog's leash that walks with them. They have been seen all over our area and people are starting to talk.

People stare them down as they drive by them. Some people flat out interrogate the homeless couple if they walk past their house when they are out front. I don't think the cops have been called yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they were at some point.

How do I know all this?

Well, Kurt and I are the homeless couple!

Yes, you read that right. We are the homeless couple . . . except that we aren't exactly homeless - it's just that the neighbors don't know that.

Let me explain:

I signed up to do a 1/2 marathon in October (yes, I am on that kick again) and so I have an exercise schedule that I am following. And Kurt is (literally) on a 50 mile backpacking adventure (as I type) so we both had some training to do so we decided to do it together. We put the kids to bed at 8 and the just the two of us head out for our walk. Ok, Cody comes along too so I guess there are three of us! Kurt has been carrying his backpack, including his tent, to get use to the weight.

And people have thought we were homeless people wandering the neighborhoods. I am totally serious when I say people glare at us when they drive by or want to know what we are doing if we walk by while they are outside. We have been questioned a lot. I told Kurt that people thought we were homeless and he totally disagreed with me until people we know told us. We have had several people that we know drive by and stop to talk to us and say "hey, I thought you guys were homeless people." Ha ha ha ha!

We have got a good laugh out of this adventure but I do have to say that I am looking forward to when he comes home and we can go walking without all the gear. Then we can just be regular old Kurt and Jenn (and Cody).

And yes we will continue going out almost every night because it is AWESOME! The evenings are cool and breezy. Nobody else is really out. We don't have the kids hanging on us or whining or complaining. It is actually quite romantic to just walk the two of us and guess what? We actually get to talk! You know that thing you did before kids came along? We have FULL conversations. It is great! Yes, we talk about everything . . . Well, except that one night we were rather irritated with each other. Then not much talking happened but we still got out and enjoyed the evening.

So if you are up in our area and you see a couple walking along, be nice to them. Chances are it is just us wandering the neighborhoods!

No comments: