August 13, 2011

Is he adopted?

People ask the funniest questions when you have a baby.

You know, like when they ask:

"Is it a girl or a boy?" and the baby is obviously dressed in all pink or all blue.

or when they ask:

"Are they twins?" and you have a 6 month old and a 2 year old.

Funny people.

Well, with Trevor, the question I have been repeatedly asked is:

"Is he adopted?"

Seriously. I am not kidding. It always comes right after the question "how old is he?"

I understand why they ask it. It's because I have been back in my regular clothes since 8 days after he was born. I don't look like I have had a baby.

So then they ask:

"Do you exercise?" No.
"Are you eating a special diet?" No.
"Are you breastfeeding?" No.
"What did you do?" Nothing.

Then I get the stare. They stare at me like I am lying and they are going to stare the truth out of me. I don't know - apparently my body just likes to be one size and it just went right back to it. I still have a little extra "fluff," (my skin is still squishy, not firm) but nothing you can see in my clothes.

It is rather funny. It happened again yesterday at the grocery store. My checker asked "the questions" from above and then called to her co-worker at the next check stand and said "hey, do you believe she just had a baby a month ago?" The co-worker and her customers then turned and looked me over. Lovely. Really - I just wanted to buy my 2 items and go.

So just to set the record straight - I didn't fake a pregnancy and here is the proof: my belly at 40 weeks 2 days.

Maybe I should carry this picture around with me so I can prove I did, in fact, give birth to him.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Okay, now you are just rubbing it in! :) Here is what the rest of us have to hear a month or more after we have our babies: "When are you due?" or "Have you had that baby yet?" or anything else that draws attention to the fact that we look fat and pregnant still. Congratulations on bouncing back so quickly! I am jealous.